Minneapolis and St. Paul may be called the Twin Cities, but they were born fraternal twins, not identical. St. Paul took root as the head of navigation on the Mississippi River, the bookend to New Orleans. Few steamboats risked going to Minneapolis, which straddles the river at St. Anthony Falls. From the falls, the Mississippi drops over 110 feet through a tight, narrow canyon about 8.5 miles long. During high water, turbulent rapids boiled down the canyon, and at low water, a person could have waded across a knee-deep channel. In 1858, steamboats came to St. Paul over 1,000 times yet only about 50 dared to continue on to Minneapolis. The river’s plunge, however, gave Minneapolis the Mississippi’s best hydropower site, allowing the city to lead the nation, and at times the world, in flour milling from 1880 to 1930.
How to get to the conference
Map Directions to Conference Hotel
Travel information is from the Visit St. Paul website. The Visit St. Paul website offers a wealth of information about St. Paul from restaurants to weather to history.
AIR TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION
Centrally located in North America, Saint Paul is the international gateway for air transportation in the Upper Midwest. The Minneapolis Saint Paul International Airport (MSP) is only eight miles from downtown Saint Paul.
The Minneapolis Saint Paul International Airport is a Delta Air Lines hub and operates an average of 1,250 flights daily.
Average Flight Time From Major U.S. Destinations
On-airport rental car counters at Terminal 1-Lindbergh are located on the second and third levels between the Blue and Red parking ramps. Passengers can take the underground tram to the Blue and Red parking ramps and then take an elevator to the second or third floor.
At Terminal 2-Humphrey, on-airport rental car counters are located in the Ground Transport Center on the ground level of the Purple parking ramp directly across from the terminal building.
Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz and National have counters at both terminals.
DRIVING DIRECTIONS TO THE ST. PAUL HOTEL
From the North
• Take 35E South to Wacouta and 10th Street exit.
• Stay to the left and follow Wacouta to Kellogg Blvd.
• Turn right and go eight blocks to Market Street
• Turn right onto Market Street and proceed for one block. The hotel is on the right.
From the West
• Take I-94 East to 5th Street.
• Follow 5th Street to Market Street.
• Turn right on Market Street. The hotel is on the left.
From the East
• Take I-94 West to 6th Street exit.
• Follow 6th Street for nine blocks to Market Street.
• Turn left onto Market Street and proceed one block. The hotel is on the left.
From the South
• Take I-35E North to the Kellogg Blvd exit.
• Turn right onto Kellogg and proceed to Market Street.
• Turn left onto Market Street and proceed two blocks. The hotel is on the right.
From the Airport
• Leaving the airport, follow signs for Highway 5 to St. Paul.
• Stay on Highway 5, which eventually turns into West 7th Street.
• Take West 7th Street into downtown St. Paul
• Turn right on Kellogg Blvd to Markey Street.
• Turn left on Market Street and proceed one block. The hotel is on the right.
Taxi service at Terminal 1-Lindbergh is accessible via the Tram Level (Level T). Signs direct passengers one level up to the taxi starter booth, where airport staff will assist passengers in obtaining a taxi.
At Terminal 2-Humphrey, taxi service is available at the Ground Transport Center, located on the ground level of the Purple parking ramp directly across from the terminal building.
- Downtown Minneapolis is approximately 12 miles from the airport, with fares averaging $38-$49.
- The distance to downtown Saint Paul is approximately 8 miles and fares average $30-$37.
- A $6.75 fare will be displayed on the Taxicab meter at the onset of your trip. This fee includes a $2.50 flag drop and a $4.25 airport access fee.
VAN & SHUTTLE SERVICES and CAR SERVICES
Shared ride service via van or car to and from the airport is available from SuperShuttle and ExecuCar.
The SIA has a negotiated rate of $13 one-way and $22 round trip (plus $1.00 fuel surcharge) if you book SuperShuttle in advance and on-line.
The negotiated price for an ExecuCar sedan is $45 each trip (plus $3.60 fuel surcharge).
Ticket counters for SuperShuttle and ExecuCar are also located in the Terminal 1-Lindbergh Ground Transport Center. The ticket counters are accessible via the terminal’s Tram Level. Follow the signs to the appropriate escalator or elevator up. Advance reservations are highly recommended.
RAILROAD, BUS & LIGHT RAIL
Amtrak’s Empire Builder (from Chicago) goes through the Twin Cities, stopping at Midway Station (730 Transfer Rd, St. Paul), approximately six miles east of the conference hotel. For detailed train information visit the Amtrak website at www.amtrak.com. City bus service connects the Midway area to the Rice Park area. For more information visit the Metro Transit website at www.MetroTransit.org. The Trip Planner will give you step-by-step itineraries for bus and light rail travel throughout the Twin Cities.